Sunday, September 24, 2017

It's Banned Books Week!

It's only been two days since I posted my "vacation bag" reading list for the next couple of months, but I'm already rearranging it! After skimming through their beginning pages, I've returned two of the library books -- I still may read them someday, but decided not to for the time being. I've also added the October picks for the Diverse Books Club that were just announced this morning. And I somehow forgot I had this collection set aside to read during Banned Books Week:


I've had an interest in banned and challenged books for a long time now and even ran a reading challenge dedicated to them for four years before passing it on to another blogger. Some of the books that have been frequently challenged are a bit mind-boggling to me. I have no problem with an individual or a parent deciding a book is not appropriate for themselves or their children, but I do not think it is OK for individuals or groups (or the government) to decide what is appropriate for everyone else. Formally requesting that a book be removed from a collection denies others the opportunity to make their own decisions. The American Library Association has some really great free graphics on the subject I thought I would share:

What's the big deal?




Facts & Figures:





Read!

Artwork courtesy of the American Library Association


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think :)